You are laid down on a table and a stranger applies hot wax to the most tender areas of your body, then uses it to rip each and every one out by the root. No that’s not your last nightmare… It’s likely your last hair removal experience. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to make this experience more bearable, and take care of that tender skin afterwards.
Before your sugaring or wax treatment:
- Plan your appointment- When booking your appointment keep a few things in mind in order to get the best results and to lessen pain.
- Make sure your hair will be long enough to wax or sugar. If you are getting a Sugar treatment your hair doesn’t need to be as long as for a waxing treatment. We recommend at least 1/8 of an inch for sugaring and ¼ inch for waxing. You also don’t want the hair to be too long either.
- Don’t schedule your wax right before during or right after your period. Because of your hormones during that time, your skin will be extra sensitive.
- Don’t drink alcohol right before your treatment. Believe it or not you will feel it more, not less.
- To help with the pain take a few Tylenol or Ibuprofen right before your treatment. It will help with any inflammation that may occur.
After your sugaring or wax treatment:
- Don’t get crazy, give your skin a break and avoid.
Activities that may rub or scratch the skin
Lotions with fragrance or chemicals
Swimming pools or hot tubs
Touching the skin excessively
- Apply a fragrance free moisturizer made for sensitive skin. You can also use plain coconut or olive oil.
- You can also crush up some Aspirin and apply it directly to the skin.
- After 3 days you can gently exfoliate the area to minimize ingrown hairs. Exfoliate every other day to keep them away.
- If you do have a bad reaction contact your esthetician right away for treatment.
One of the best ways to have a better hair removal experience opt for Sugaring over waxing. Sugaring is less painful because the sugar doesn’t stick to the skin like wax. It targets only the hair so you will notice much less skin irritation. Sugaring also can pick up shorter hair. The more often you get sugared the hair will grow back thinner and finer and it will be less painful. If you are in the San Diego area call Kika Skincare to make your sugaring appointment today